She had been asking about block printing for quite a while but I was a bit apprehensive because its a bit dangerous. You can cut yourself pretty easy if your gouge slips. I ended up finding some blocks made of a soft rubber material. Usually wood or linoleum is used but this stuff did the trick. Her practice block was uninspiring so I told her she needed to spend more time on the next block as we only had a few blocks. She sat down at the bench in the garage, sketched out her design and proceeded to carve it out. Later, in-doors I showed her how to apply the ink with the brayer and how to press the paper to the block using the smoosher thing (what the heck is that thing called again?) anyway, the prints turned out great. We made one for each of her classmates.
3 comments:
Did she really do that all by herself? That's amazing! She has a really good grasp of negative space for someone so young.
there is nothing emy doesn't rock at
She had been asking about block printing for quite a while but I was a bit apprehensive because its a bit dangerous. You can cut yourself pretty easy if your gouge slips. I ended up finding some blocks made of a soft rubber material. Usually wood or linoleum is used but this stuff did the trick. Her practice block was uninspiring so I told her she needed to spend more time on the next block as we only had a few blocks. She sat down at the bench in the garage, sketched out her design and proceeded to carve it out. Later, in-doors I showed her how to apply the ink with the brayer and how to press the paper to the block using the smoosher thing (what the heck is that thing called again?) anyway, the prints turned out great. We made one for each of her classmates.
Post a Comment