Friday, May 16, 2008

Save The Date

Emy's class consists mainly of boys ages 4-5. One of the boys is GAGA over Transformers. He brings one in everyday for show and tell. He lets everyone know that he's got 50,000 Transformers at his house, along with a room for them all, Transformers sheets, pillows, clock, chairs, you name it, he's got it. Based on his enthusiasm alone, all the kids are convinced that Transformers must be the coolest thing this planet has to offer them.

Now I liked watching Transformers as a kid, and I have the first animated movie, but I wouldn't let any small children watch it. Any way you slice it, it's as much about war as GI Joe. I feel, therefore, that it would be wrong to throw Emy an all out Transformers birthday party next month even though it might raise her out of "you're just a girl" obscurity and elevate her to that heavenly state of "but you are still cool anyway" bliss that Hillary Clinton will never enjoy.

Hence, my dilemma.. (and yes, I do feel insanely lucky that dilemmas like these are the only dilemmas I currently have.) So, I've scrapped the pirate party idea. Scrapped poor Curious George. And I am onto Outer Space.


Transformers are after all, from another planet. But along with Transformers, I can also include rockets, stars, moons, spaceships, planets, astronauts, space sand, moon rovers, normal robots, and all kinds of science into the mix for fun, games, and decorations. My Aunt and Uncle have unknowingly given me the means of funding the party with gift cards to a craft store. I am going to have some sort of Outer Space pinata, a moonwalk cake, and OK, OK, there may be one or two Transformers invited.

Come if you dare - tentative date is June 21st 3 PM to 5:00 PM. I am thinking on serving moon rocks (chicken nuggets), alien guts (lo mein noodles), and asteroid jam (green jello with purple grapes).

No comments: